There are large number of temples in Kishtwar district. But it is hard to describe all of these. I try to discuss some of these which are in main Kishtwar town and not outside this.
1. Shri Gori Shanker Mandir Sarkoot:- Gori Shanker temple is the most ancient temple of this area.This temple holds a central place in Kishtwar.This temple is also known as Sarkoot-Mandir. This temple is very attractive. There are different types of idols of various Gods and Goddess namely Shiv Parvati, Shri Raghunath Ji, Maa Sita, Shri Laxman Ji, Shri Hanuman Ji, Maa Durga, Shri Ganesh Ji, and Shri DharamRaj Ji are placed there. There are also placed various types of Shiv-Lings. In left of this temple there is a big Hawn-Kund and beside this there was a Samadhi of Saint Shri Tulsi Giri Ji Maharaj. In front of this, there is a beautiful pond locally called as Sarkoot Dal which gives a fascinating view to this. In its back side, there is a large Saray/Dharamshalla meant for piligrims. All types of facility is available there for piligrims. This temple is maintained by a social organization under the supervision of Acharya Shri RamSharan Dass Ji. Masses of Kishtwar support this organization socially and financially. There is a beautiful park in front of it. There is also a parking place for vehicles. This temple is located on the western side of the Chowgan. This is about 1km far from the main Bus stand of Kishtwar. Daily Prayers, Kirtaan Celebrations, different festivals, Yag-Hawn, and Bhandara are organized in this temple. The JanamAshtami and Sarthal Devi processions start from this Gori Shanker temple. The Kishtwar development authority has constructed a park beside the temple and is a proposing to develop the near by lake so as to make the place a center for tourists and pilgrim’s attraction.
5. Maa Aatharan Bhuja:- This temple is also situated in poochal village. This temple containing an idol of Maa Aatharan Bhuja which means a Goddess having eighteen arms.
6. Neel Kanth Mandir:- This temple held a unique place in Kishtwar. This is a double story temple in which the statue of Shiv-Parvti’s are placed. There is a Shiv Ling also, besides this there are small idols of Nandi Gans. In the outside room, there are the stone images of Maa Durga and Hanuman Ji are placed. This temple is well for seen. This is situated in the below market near Hidyal Chowk Kishtwar.The temple is situated in the heart of Kishtwar town was detroyed by the forces of Raja Bhupat Paul of Basholi, under the command of his wazir. He took away the preciuos and rare lingam of the temple to Basholi where it was placed in a temple, which is still there. The temple at KIshtwar has now been constructed with the efforts put in by Shri Vinod Bhandari and others and attracts devotees in large numbers. About Neel Kanth Mahadev lingam, taken to Basholi, Hashmatullah Khan writes, ‘It was the family idol of the kings of Kishtwar, its color resembled Sapphire. Any one, who would look at it would see the details of his previous life’. It was due to this power of the lingam that under the orders of the king of Basholi, the lingam was taken there and installed in a temple.
7. Shri RaghuNath Mandir:- Shri Ram Mandir is one of the ancient temple of Kishtwar. There are little-little idols on the walls of this temple. The idol placed in the temple are very beautiful. The Janam Ashtami festivals are celebrated in these temples.These temples are situated at the little distance on the upper side of Kishtwar Bus stand.The Hindu consider these temples very important. Beside this temple, there are other small temples in which idols of different Gods like Shri Hanuman Ji, Shiv Ji and Shiv Lings are placed. There is a small beautiful ground beside this temple.
8. Kartik Swami Mandir Nagni:- The place at a distance of 3kms. from Kishtwar and connected with a road is another beauty spot, where from the view of Kishtwar town, Dul-Hasti Project Colony, and its beautiful surroundings, Nagin Shiru peak to its north and roaring Chenab to its South can be seen conspicuously. The premises of the ‘Kartik Swami’ temple are situatd at prominent place. “Kartik Swami’ the eldest son of Lord Shiva is the deity of the Hindus of Kishtwar. Before the start of a function or a festival at home, the members of the family, first, pay their obeisance to Kartik Swami and seek his blessings for the success of the function. After Raksha Bandahan, people along with thir relatives and friends hold functions here. It is a tradition in Kishtwar that the families where male babies are born in a particular year visit tha shrine of Kartik Swami after Raksha Bandhan, along with friends and relatives for thanks giving and paying homage to their deity. At this occasion rams are presented to the deity and sacrificed and the guests entertained with feasts. There is a vast ground in front of the temple, a two room suite, a kitchen and a toilet for the convenience of the pilgrims.
17. Shiv Mandir Zewer:- On the day of Raksha Bandhan in year 2004, this temple was established. This temple is full with the idols of different Gods and Goddess. This temple is situated in the Zewer village of Kishtwar which joins the NH-1B with link road (Om Mehta Marg) at a distant of 200mtr. from Bus Stand Kishtwar.
18. Aap Shumbu Mandir Kulid:- This temple was constructed in year 1838. This temple is situated in the Bun-Kulid village of Kishtwar which is near to SSP office and opposite to Helipad. It is locally known as “Jangam ka Mandir” where the huge black colored Shiv Ling ( Aap Shumbu) is placed. This temple includes other idols of different Gods and Goddess. This place is 2km far from main Bus Stand.
21. Laxmi Narayaan Mandir Brahamaan Mohalla:- This temple is situated in the middle of the Brahamaan Mohalla Kishtwar. This temple was constructed under the supervision of Pandit Sh. Hari Lal Ji. In this temple, white marble idols of Laxmi Naryaan Ji, one small Shiv Ling, statue of Nag Devta are placed both of these are made up of black marble. This temple is very beautiful.
23. Shiv Saar Mandir Matta:- This temple is situated in the Matta village of the district. One small Shiv Ling is placed in this temple. Beside this, a huge tree of Chinar is there which adds its beauty, drinking water facility is also available there.
25. Shiv Mandir Kuleed:- This temple is located in the middle of the village Kuleed, in which the Shiv Linga is placed.